Samsung announces best apps from Galaxy Note S Pen App Challenge
In an effort to show off the content-creating potential of its large-screen, pen-enabled Galaxy Note device, Samsung Mobile today announced the winners of its Samsung Galaxy Note S Pen App Challenge. In all, over $200,000 were awarded to the winning app developers, with a grand prize of $100,000 going to Square Island for its Monkey Write - Learn Chinese app.
Entries were judged by a five-member panel of representatives from AndroidCentral.com, AT&T, BlueRun Ventures, Gameloft, and Samsung Mobile, who evaluated not only the quality and originality of the idea, but also the overall user experience. There was also a Popular Choice category that was judged by the public through online voting. As expected, the biggest winners all made great use of the Note's integrated pen through unique drawing functions and challenges.
The winnings apps include:
Best Overall App
- Grand prize ($100,000): Monkey Write Learn Chinese by Chiu-ki Chan of Square Island
- Second prize ($50,000): Maze Racer by Roger Peters and David McCanless of SmartyPantsGaming
- Third prize ($25,000): Drawing Pad by Christopher Lott and Daren Murtha of Murtha Design
Popular choice ($2,000 and a Galaxy Note):
- SignDoc Mobile by Softpro North America
Honorable mention ($2,000 and a Galaxy Note):
- Games - Speed Draw by Ferdouse Khaleque and Kabir Khaleque
- Productivity - Papyrus by Andrew Hughes (Steadfast Innovation)
- Media - FlipaClip by Jonathan Meson and Tim Meson of Visual Blasters
- Sports - Playcall by Sargon Benjamin
- Entertainment - Colors For Galaxy Note by Jens Andersson of Collecting Smiles
- Travel - Map Note by Base 2 Applications, LLC
- Social - Authorgraph by Evan Jacobs of To the Reader, Inc
- Lifestyle - Makeup Paint Modiface
- Education - iAnatomy by Anouk Stein, M.D.
- Other - bConnected @ Ball State for Galaxy Note Kyle Parker, Valerie Morris, Ryan Bitzegaio, Brandon Smith, Ian Gibson and Brice Brenneman of Ball State University